by Anna Olson
CHEF ANN KIRSEBOM
M E N U for Recipes
Sashami grade Ahi Tuna – semi-frozen – then diced (easier to dice when slightly frozen) if making a tartare or leave whole if grilling
*Marinate tuna for 2 hours in Tequi-Lime Sauce. Discard marinade – lightly grill or serve raw. Toss with fresh Tequi-Lime. Mix red pepper and mango together and at the last moment, toss with tuna. Garnish with sesame seeds, ginger and a little wasabi and fresh chives – serve in porcelain spoons.
Bring Chevre to room temperature
Marinate chicken drumettes in BC Lions Tequila Citrus Sauce overnight. Discard marinade and bring to room temperature. Roast in 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until almost fully cooked.
Brush generously and finish on grill basting frequently. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
Fresh shrimp – tossed in Grand Marnier Sauce
Mixed shrimp, roasted peppers, zest and lime juice, ½ mango, cilantro to taste, Italian cheese, chevre
Spread onto a soft tortilla and cover.
Grill over med high heat – achieving grill marks and turn over. Remove and cut in half and then into 6 – drizzle mango cream and garnish with cilantro and serve at once while hot and crispy.
Puree sour cream and ½ mango and place in drizzle bottle for garnish
Warm jar of sauce in water bath until smooth and serve over your favorite gelato – in the summer serve with your favorite Okanagan fruit. Also lovely, slathered over a fresh baguette or simply it right out of the jar with a spoon!
1 CUP WARM WATER
Combine water and sugar in processor. Sprinkle yeast over, let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add oil, then 3 cups of flour and salt. Process until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until dough is smooth & elastic, adding more flour by tablespoons full if dough is sticky, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough, turn to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm, draft-free area until the dough doubles, about 1 hr. Punch dough down and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Roll out dough and grill, on a clean bbq over medium heat until golden and it has grill marks, or pre-bake or top with favorite toppings, unbaked and bake until browned.
PIZZA TOPPING – for 4 pizzas
Red peppers, yellow peppers, zucchini, & Japanese eggplant, trimmed and sliced
Drizzle balsamic over vegetables and season and grill over medium high heat – time varies on different barbecues.
Grill raw pizza dough on both sides. Remove and brush generously with bbq sauce.
This class was led by
2 cups of your favorite mushrooms sliced
1 tbsp butter
½ onion fine diced
1 tsp garlic
4 tbsp white wine
½ cup 33% cream
1 tbsp of high quality balsamic vinegar
1 crusty baguette, of loaf of your choice (cibatta works well)
Olive oil for drizzling
1 cup of mozzarella
· Slice the baguette to desired size depending on whether this is to be an appetizer or hor dourve, place on sheet pan, drizzle with oil and lightly toast in a 400 degree oven for 6 mins, remove and set aside. Switch your oven to broil.
· In a hot sauté pan, brown the mushrooms, and continue to cook until finished, and remove from pan
· Put the tbsp of butter in the hot pan and proceed to sauté the onions until translucent
· Stir in garlic, once you smell the garlic coming from the pan, deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half
· Add cream and reduce by half again, you will see the cream getting thicker and thicker
· Once the sauce coats your spoon, add the balsamic and reduce further until same consistency
· Season with salt and pepper and place mushroom mixture on top of the toasted pieces of baguette
· Top with a pinch of mozzarella and place pan back in the over until the cheese is golden brown. Watch closely, these can burn quick.
BACON MUSHROOM SOUP
8 slices of bacon diced or sliced to thin strips
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups of sliced mushrooms, your choice
6 tbsp flour
1 L vegetable stock, hot
1 cup of half and half cream
Three sprigs of thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
· In a hot soup pot, sauté bacon until crispy, and remove from pot and set aside. Discard all bacon fat except for 2 tbsp worth you leave in the pot.
· Place the pot back on the heat and begin to sauté the onions on high heat, to get some quick colour. (if you like, to be healthier you can replace the bacon fat with butter or olive oil)
· Once the onions are lightly browned add the mushrooms and sauté. Once cooked stir in the garlic, and flour to make a thick paste.
· Slowly add the vegetable stock to the flour mushroom mixture, in 4 equal parts, stirring to incorporate the stock in-between each addition.
· Add cream and full sprigs of thyme.
· Bring the soup to a boil, then drop to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes minimum.
· Add salt and pepper to taste, when plating, place a dollop of chive whipped cream in the center of each bowl.
CHIVE CREAM FRIACHE
1/2 cup of whipping cream
2 tbsp of sour cream
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
· Whip the cream until medium peaks, fold in sour cream and fresh chives
BACON ASPARAGUS STUFFED MUSHROOMS
1 lb medium cremini mushrooms or button mushrooms
5 sliced of bacon diced
½ white onion
6 pc of asparagus, sliced small into little coins
Pinch of pepper
4 oz of goats cheese
· Clean mushrooms and remove stems from the mushrooms, dice stems into small pieces
· Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy, removed bacon and set aside
· In the remaining bacon fat, Sauté the onions and mushroom stems.
· Stir in asparagus and lightly sauté, 5 mins, do not overcook.
· Mix with the bacon and allow to cool
· Once cool stir into the goats cheese along with the pepper
· Take cheese mixture and fill each mushroom
· Place on a baking sheet and bake at 325 for 20-25 mins
· If you would like a little more colour on the cheese, put the oven on broil for a couple minutes
MUSHROOM STUFFED PORK LOIN WITH MUSHROOM AND CORN SALSA
6 oz pork, cubed
½ cup cream, scant
2 cloves garlic
1.5 tsp rosemary
· Place garlic in food processor and pulse until as chopped at possible
· Add pork and begin to blend, while blending, slowly pour cream in until the pork creates a sticky paste with no chunks
· Add rosemary and ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper
· Set aside
1kg pork loin, remove thick parts of fat
2 cups of mushrooms, your choice, cut small and sautéed
Salt and pepper
· Take pork loin and starting 1 cm from the bottom, slice through the loin until you are about 1.5 cm from cutting through the other side, turn the inside piece of loin and continue cutting until you have one long flat piece of pork.
· On one end of the loin smear 1/3 of the farce and a thick line across the whole width, place your mushrooms across this line and semi mash them into the farce
· Take another 1/3 of the farce and smear a thick line across the opposite side to create a seal
· Use the remaining farce to smear a light layer over the entire center surface area
· Starting at the mushroom side begin to roll the loin until you reach the end, keeping it as tight as possible.
· Use butchers twine to tie a few spots on the roast to help prevent it from falling apart, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
· In a medium high heavy bottom frying pan, sear all sides of the loin. Place in a roasting dish and place in a 350degree over for 30-40 mins or a eternal temp of 145
Corn and portabella salsa
1 lb of portabella mushrooms, peeled and gilled, diced and sautéed
½ red onion, diced
1 cup of corn kernels
1tsp minced garlic
1tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
· Combine all ingredients and mix well, allow to sit 30 mins to let flavours mingle
To Page 2